The acting Chairman of the Economic and financial crimes commission, EFCC, Ibrahim Magu has been reportedly detained
After been grill for hours by the Presidential Panel,
set up to Investigate the money laundering charges against him
Recall however that Magu was intercept by members of the DSS on Monday,
after the Attorney General of the federation, Abubakar Malami
Wrote a letter to the presidency,
calling for the sack of Ibrahim Magu over Fraudulent activities.
Furthermore The Nation reports that the panel which is head by Justice Isa Ayo Salami,
a retired president of the Court of Appeal, drilled Magu for many hours
before he was whisk away from the Presidential Villa
where he was interrogated by the Force Criminal Investigation Department (FCID)
at about 10.15pm shortly after the investigative panel ended its sitting.
Also His escort mobile policemen and security detail were asked to stand down
before he was taken into custody.
shortly after emerging from the sitting,
Magu was then led into a waiting white Hilux van marked 371D.
Magu also insisted on sitting in the open space at the back of the Hilux.
The police team persuaded him to sit in the first cabin.
The ding-doing over his relocation to the FCID lasted about 25 minutes.
Magu was then later allowed to go to the FCID in his official car.
“In the light of the ongoing investigation,
it became expedient to detain Magu at the FCID.
We do not want him to return to the office
while he is being questioned,
because he is likely to have another session
with the Justice Salami panel.”
a source told The Nation
It was also learnt last night that Magu might be suspended from office.
“By not allowing him to go back to his office
was an indication that he might be suspended.
It is obvious that the Presidency has concluded plans
to look for a new candidate for the office,”
the source added
Meanwhile At the FCID around 10.50pm, Magu rejected an offer
to take him into an office to stay the night.
He further told the officers in charge to treat him like a suspect by putting him in a cell.
Sitting on a chair, he said:
“I won’t go and sleep in any office,
I prefer to be in a cell.
Kindly put me in a cell.
That is what Allah wants for me.
I can’t question God.”
Meanwhile Below are some of the charges against Ibrahim Magu;
- Alleged discrepancies in the reconciliation records of the EFCC and the Federal Ministry of Finance on recovered funds
- Declaration of N539billion as recovered funds instead of N504b earlier claimed
- Insubordination to the office of the AGF by not seeking his approval on some decisions
- Not providing enough evidence for the extradition of ex-Minister of Petroleum Resources, Diezani Alison-Madueke
- Alleged late action on the investigation of Process and Industrial Development (P&ID) leading to legal dispute
- Not respecting court order to unfreeze a N7billion judgment in favour of a former Executive Director of First Bank
- Alleged delay in acting on two vessels seized by Nigerian Navy leading to the loss of crude
- Alleged favouring of some investigators called Magu’s Boys
- Reporting some judges to their presiding officers without deferring to the AGF
- Alleged sales of seized assets to cronies, associates and friends
- Alleged issuance of investigative activities to some media prejudicial to some cases.